Products
Applications
Parts & Service
Rental
News & Events
About The Company
charlie

C13 Regeneration Problems

We have had numerous regeneration problems with a 2008 C13 engine. Several ARD heads have been replaced on this truck and they continue to clog up. Is anyone else out there having these same issues?

Contributor
JAAS

Re: C13 Regeneration Problems

Hi Charlie:

Are we talking about  tractor trailers, dump trucks or a highway truck Crane application. On either case there is a lot of problems with the regeneration system on C13 , Most of them because engine are kept idling or low load factor for long period of time, plus operator error , not all operators get use to it.. Any time the active regeneration is interrupted the DPF get clogged, with the time the engine will shutoff as soon it start and just using a CAT ET PC could be "force to regenerate".

I had a lot of LEE series on highways truck cranes , that got clog because the crane setting on a job site while working does not demand enough power , then the operator seeing the regeneration take longer than he expect , jus interrupt it and kept working.

Is something like that what are you experience ?

JAAS 

charlie

This is a straight truck that spends most of its time at highway speeds, but goes out full and has a diminishing load as it travels its route, however with team drivers it runs up to 30 hours straight and still seems to have problems every three to four months. The drivers claim that they know what the warning lights mean and do parked regens when required and the DPF still clogs up. Charlie

charlie

The regeneration problem is not with the DPF but with the ARD Head not initiating a regen. It seems that the ARD Heads carbon up and the regen cannot start. It happened again 2 weeks ago and now Cat has replaced the ARD Head again with the "new latest updated" head. I guess that we can only wait and see how it works, again, for the 5th or 6th time.

Contributor
C16MAN

Just a stupid question are you using the 304-7755  cleaning fluid every 50 000 miles to clean the ARD head?

charlie

This truck does not belong to me, but to a customer of ours. In all of our discussions with and all of the repairs performed at the local Cat dealer this solution has never been discussed but it is certainly something to consider. When Cat has repaired this unit they have always installed the "newest and latest" version of the ARD heads. If they keep changing the design of the ARD heads I have to assume that we are not the only guys with these issues. Is this cleaning fluid something that you use regularly and does it help?

Contributor
C16MAN

To be quite honest I can't say, all our trucks are pre 2008 without after treatment systems.

But have a look at this link https://ohe.cat.com/cda/files/517855/7/CRS%20Head%20Cleaning.wmv?mode

go to ohe.com go to trucks and then on-highway video`s.

Also check out this link  http://www.westernbus.com/user_images/file/CAT%20Emissions.pdf

hope this helps.

In our country no after treatment device is required, so I am interested in how the system works, the links above I came across while surfing on the net.

C.

Caterpillar Employee
nichodm

Heavy-duty '07 engines do not require nozzle cleaner.  All engines were updated to "heated" ARD heads.  They perform a heat cycle to clean the head rather than using nozzle cleaner. 

mjc317

I own a bunch of these in 2008 western stars. Ihave been contacted by a law firm in Texas about a class action lawsuit against cat. On these engines
kinj

Morning, Although anyone with the Regen engines will know that they are a nightmare...we are only finding that the best results on the regens are the following things:

1.Replace the fittings on the ARD heads,replaced the Fuel Filters, including the in-line fuel filters this is only with the new ARD heads and the software updates.

2.Change the fuel filter intervals to 10,000 to 12,000 miles and the oil at 25,000 miles.

3.Also training drivers to do the Regen before turning into bed and also when they get up have the do another one this must be done to insure that the dpf is always cleaned.

We have 296 of the c-13 2007 Cat Regen engines and currently this is what we had to do to keep them on the road. we are currently in the process of doing a campaign on them to get them all done.

Thanks and have a great day.

geno.